Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Look that up in your Funk and Wagnalls!

Continuing my tribute to ROWAN & MARTIN'S LAUGH-IN...The show featured a revolving-door cast of wildly talented comic performers, many of whom went on to successful careers in film, television and stage.Notable players who appeared on the show included Lily Tomlin, Richard Dawson, Teresa Graves, Goldie Hawn, Henry Gibson, Arte Johnson, Ruth Buzzi, Dave Madden, Judy Carne, JoAnne Worley, Barbara Sharma, Patti Deutsch,
Alan Sues, Willie Tyler & Lester and announcer Gary Owens. Flip Wilson was a frequent guest star.
The show is also responsible for bringing us such common expressions as "Verrry Eeen-ter-es-ting!", , "You bet your sweet bippy!", "Here come de' judge!", "Beautiful downtown Burbank", "One ringy-dingy...two ringy-dingies...", "Sock it to me!" and "Look that up in your Funk and Wagnalls!". More to come tomorrow, including an exciting announcement for LAUGH-IN fans.

2 comments:

Pax Romano said...

Man, this show was must viewing when I was a kid - of course most of the humor went right over my head, but it was so bright and fast...and of course, Lily Tomlin was terrific as Ernestine.

doris daze said...

Do you recall that there was a Laugh-In magazine? I don't know how long it lasted but I loved it--full of jokes, pictures from the shows, etc. This show was a major part of my tender young years. I recorded tons of episodes of the show when it was being run on Trio (before that channel's sad demise).