Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Found HORIZON

When I was a kid I begged my parents to take me to see Ross Hunter's production of LOST HORIZON at Radio City Music Hall. My mother must have thought I would be satisfied with any Liv Ullman film, so instead she took me to see 40 CARATS - in which Liv played a cougar who seduced Edward Albert, who was about half her age.
I finally did get to see LOST HORIZON this past weekend and all I can say is "wow". Bad movie Shangri-La. A Bacharach-David musical starring Peter Finch, Michael York, Sally Kellerman, George Kennedy, Olivia Hussey, Bobby Van and the aforementioned Ms. Ullman. With the legendary John Gielgud and Charles Boyer playing Asians. There are many unbelievably crazy moments, mostly featuring musical numbers with actors who cannot sing or dance. Hermes Pan must have been pulling his hair out when asked to choreograph this magnificent mess. I could go on for days about it, but I'll opt to just show you my favorite clip.

2 comments:

AnimateTed said...

The look on Olivia Hussy's face while she's singing in close-up explains it all. Mandel tried to drag me to this, and now... I'm sorry I missed it!

Anonymous said...

I would LOVE to know where i can obtain this movie in the US. I have been searching high and low for it and cannot find it anywhere,not even this dubbed version shown on youtube. I am stunned to find this here. The world is a circle..
"So here we shall stay, with our books and our music and our meditation."
-High Lama