Friday, August 22, 2008

My 100th Post

For my 100th post, I thought it would be fun to do something special. At first I looked up today's date in history to see if something cool happened 100 years ago today. Other than it being the 100th birthday of photographer Henri Cartier-Bresson, nothing really jumped out at me. So then I decided to approach this was a "very special episode" of DOUGSPLOITATION where I look back at the past 100 posts and recall my favorites, etc. Maybe I'll do that for my One Year Anniversary Special (coming on September 19).Browsing through my previous posts made me think about all the stuff I love. So I decided to list my FAVORITE 100 THINGS. After a slow start, and a quick visit to my dvd, cd and book collections - the names and titles came flying at me. In fact, it was hard to decide who or what to leave off. For instance, rather than list MULHOLLAND DRIVE and BLUE VELVET, I grouped them as "David Lynch Films". In one case I've listed the director (Russ Meyer) separate from the film (FASTER PUSSYCAT, KILL KILL) because that film has profoundly effected me, but his others are also great. Also, rather than list out every MGM Musical that I love, I decided to group 'em, much like DC Comics. Some musical acts that I actually love didn't make the list (sorry Cyndi, Aretha, Eurthymics, Blondie, kd lang) to make room for lesser-known artists that I feel need more exposure. Some TV shows that I currently watch are already listed on my DVR list, so there's no need to repeat them here. And then there's the "classics" that would normally make any gay pop culture list (Babs, Bette, Madonna, Cher, Lucy, THE WIZARD OF OZ - ugh). Well, you ain't gonna find them here. Judy and Liza may have snuck in, but there's where I draw the line. Maybe I'll work on my "other 100 favorite things" for Post # 200, but it would probably not include those aforementioned divas.

One last note: the ranking order is random to an extent, but I tried to group my all-time faves near the top of the list.


So here it is...my FAVORITE 100 THINGS...

100. Brenda Starr, Reporter
99. The Andrew Sisters
98. Kathy Mattea
97. Harry Nilsson
96. Cassandra Wilson
95. Amy Rigby
94. Holly Cole
93. Alison Moyet
92. Cheryl Wheeler's "Driving Home" cd
91. Schoolhouse Rock
90. Barbie
89. Phranc
88. Dianne Reeves
87. Lulu
86. Logan's Run
85. Loretta Lynn
84. Down with Love
83. The Apple
82. Willie Wonka & the Chocolate Factory
81. Strictly Ballroom
79. Tammy Wynette
78. Shock Treatment
77. Pink Lady & Jeff
76. The Rocky Horror Picture Show
75. Nancy & Sluggo
74. Siouxsie & the Banshees
73. Strangers With Candy
72. Showgirls
71. Claudine Longet
70. Billie Holiday
69. Mommie Dearest
68. The Umbrellas of Cherbourg
67. Pet Clark
66. Sandie Shaw
65. Golden Books
64. Neko Case
63. Doris Day
62. Tales of the City
61. Dinah Washington
60. Sandra Bernhard
59. Nina Simone
58. 9 to 5
57. Nancy Sinatra
56. Maude
55. Etta James
54. Airplane!
53. David Lynch Films
52. Mari Wilson
51. Mr. Show
50. Sid & Marty Krofft
49. Air (French Band)
48. Degrassi (old school)
47. Kirsty MacColl
46. Goldfrapp
45. MGM Musicals
44. Absolutely Fabulous
43. Captain Marvel/Shazam/Isis
42. The League of Gentleman
41. Dusty Springfield
40. Alfred Hitchcock Films
39. Julie London
38. Peggy Lee
37. Liza Minnelli
36. The Dixie Chicks
35. Pedro Almodovar Films
34. Shirley Bassey
33. Another World
32. Mame
31. Gypsy
30. Hanna-Barbera Cartoons
29. Ethel Merman
28. ABBA
27. The Free Design
26. Russ Meyer Films
25. Rankin-Bass TV Specials
24. Bette Davis
23. Power Girl
22. Dolly Parton
21. Judy Garland
20. Disneyland
19. old TV game shows
18. The Carpenters
17. The Carol Burnett Show
16. DC Comics
15. The Electric Light Orchestra
14. The Justice Society of America
13. Halloween (the holiday)
12. Something Weird Video/exploitation films
11. John Waters Films
10. TV Guide
9. Wonder Woman
8. The Odd Couple
7. Ann Magnuson
6. Joan Crawford/her films
5. Faster Pussycat, Kill Kill
4. Fawlty Towers
3. Mary Tyler Moore Show
2. Xanadu
1. Christmas (the holiday)

1 comment:

Jeff said...

I totally heart The Free Design.

Congrats on being 100!