Thursday, May 29, 2008

INDIANA JONES and the KINGDOM OF THE CRYSTAL SKULL


What? Why is this movie here? Well friends, I know I never usually "attack" big-budget, popular, CURRENT releases. But this film (which I actually enjoyed tremendously) committed one heinous unforgivable crime that took me right out of the movie and I just had to write about it. SPOILER ALERT!!!

Okay, so this 4th theatrical film in the series is set in 1957, and a major plot involves Indiana's reunion with Marion Ravenwood (played once again by Karen Allen, recreating her role from 1981's RAIDERS OF THE LOST ARK). It's great to see Karen on screen again in the role that made her famous!

So what's my beef? Well, look no further than these publicity photos of Karen from the film.


Look closer.

Now, here's a pop quiz: What year  does INDIANA JONES and the KINGDOM OF THE CRYSTAL SKULL take place? Think about it (or scroll up).

1957. That's right, 51 years ago. How did women look in 1957? Well, "Pretty" comes to mind. Not that Karen isn't pretty, I think she's lovely - but even women who are held captive in the jungle would (by 1957) have stylish, CURRENT hairdos OF THE TIME, wouldn't they? See below...


Or would they have hair like this???:


I don't think so. So tell me, my friends. Why would a film with a $125 million budget and 8 credited hairstylists allow this major glaring "hair don't" to happen? I just don't get it, with all the attention to detail in production design, wardrobe, etc - why would the main female character look like she stepped out of 2008...instead of the year where she exists???

Makes no sense to me. That is, above all other reasons, why this movie makes me say "Huh?" There, I've said it, I feel much better now.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I totally agree with Karen Allen's hairdo. Or (hair)don't.
The only thing I can think of is since she's been held captive for so long, her hair frizzed out from the jungle heat and fell from her stylish '50s do. And what's with the pant suit and vest??

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Aman Chaudhary said...

Wow, any of those hair styles would really have sent this movie from good to great. Especially considering that Mutt's hairdo was so intentionally '50s and his first appearance was such a carefully crafted re-creation of Brando in The Wild Ones.

But, for the record the hairdo she does have looks more from 1998 to me than 2008. Just saying. :)